Sunday, March 9, 2008

Bowmaking 101




Many years ago I became infatuated with the bowyer's art. Archery and sailing have to be among the most ancient of primitive technologies, and they will never cease to fascinate me.

My first bow was a long, graceful recurve built by a local craftsman down in Mississippi. From one of the old bowyers, whose breed we once thought was dying out, he had learned how to laminate layers of wood, creating a perfect pre-bend in the limbs, and to time them perfectly by patient shaving of the limbs in all the right places. There is more than technology at stake here: there is a practiced "feel" and a trained eye that work together to produce a beautiful, functional piece of archery equipment.

I learned bowmaking from some of the masters, both by reading them and by talking with them and observing their art. It is a fascinating process: at some point the material in the bowyer's hand ceases to be a blank piece of wood and starts to be a bow. It is hard to pinpoint just where in the process this occurs. We just know that it does. And what a joy when the limbs, having been shaped with watchfulness and care, spring to life and leap forward in perfect unison, propelling an arrow through the air.

Making bows, working with my hands, is therapeutic for me since my day-to-day work is in the realm of mind and spirit. I enjoy both the process and the finished product, and while making a bow I often think of God's work in us. I can see God as a master bowyer, working with some pretty rough material. Strong, seasoned hands work the material with great patience and skill. In his mind's eye he can see the desired result, and in the process many transformational changes will occur. In the end the bowyer will smile with satisfaction, and he will hold in his hand the result of his labors. What was once a rough piece of material has been transformed with care into a graceful, functional instrument that is useful for good work.

The Bible says we are God's craftsmanship. The Greek word here is poema, or masterpiece. Let's look with awe and wonder at the beautiful work of God in our lives. May we be willing to be shaped and formed by God's good hands.

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem,
Rev Buck

2 comments:

Bodebo said...

Hey Bill, well it is plain to see that God has given you the gift of Craftmanship, you do wonderful yourself on the bows as well as the fly rod you gifted me, have a great day and be safe out there, my regards to the family, bob in NB

Bodebo said...

Hey Bill, I am sure glad God, gave you the hands and knowledge to build my bow, take care and be safe out there,
my regards to the family, bob