Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Chickens Before They Are Hatched


Then Jacob made a vow saying, “If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father’s house in peace, then the Lord shall be my God, and this stone which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God’s house; and of all that you give me I will surely give one tenth to you.” --Genesis 29:20-22

Jacob has cheated his brother, broken his father’s heart, destroyed his family, and fled for his life. Later in his life Jacob would be dramatically changed so that God could use him. Without the change he would be of no use to God. This change would be so complete that even his name would be changed: he would no longer be known as Jacob but as Israel. But God reached out to Jacob before he was changed. Here is yet another example of what we in the Wesleyan tradition refer to as prevenient grace.

On his journey of flight from the wrath of his brother, Jacob stops “at a certain place” to rest for the night. At this place formerly called Luz, a profound spiritual transaction takes place in Jacob’s life. As a result of this transaction, even the place gets a new name. Now the city will be called Bethel, meaning house of God.

Here at Bethel Jacob has begun to be more aware. He is now aware of the reality and presence of God (“surely the Lord is in this place – and I did not know it!”). He also has become aware that everything he has comes from God (“if you will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear”) and that he is dependent upon God for his health and safety (“If God will keep me in this way that I go”). He also has become aware of the importance of the place of worship (“this shall be God’s house”) and of the tithe (“a tenth of all I shall give to you”).

This month our government will begin issuing tax rebates of some three hundred dollars per individual, in hopes of stimulating our sagging economy. These checks have not even been printed yet and already there are merchants and others trying to lay claim to them. Kroger advertises that if you will sign your rebate check over to them they will give you a gift card with a bonus. Sears promises the same thing.

Recently someone asked me what I will do with my rebate check. I said, after I tithe on it I will try to use it for some good for my family or others. Funny thing isn’t it: Sears and Kroger want all of your rebate check. All the Lord wants is 10%. Not a bad deal.

Blessings,
Rev

1 comment:

Dina said...

Nice surprise ending. Good reading that leaves us with something to think about. Thanks!