Sunday, March 6, 2022

Ash Wednesday Follow-up and Invitation

 


On Friday, March 4, I posted the following on Facebook. 

For everyone who is following my “watch this space” post on Ash Wednesday:
“It’s an Ash Wednesday story that begins on a hot day in July when you retire after 32 years and on the first day of your retirement you are told you have 3 to 5 years to live.”
“Now it is Ash Wednesday, 245 days later, and my Lenten journey has never been more important. What would God have me do for the next 40 days? How would God have me live the rest of my life? What do I have to offer in the time that I have left?”
Dr. Nadia Chaudhri did the Banghra dance from her hospital bed for her thousands of followers and raised money to fight ovarian cancer. Dr. Paul Kalanithi wrote a NY Times best-seller chronicling his final journey. They were both very inspiring.
Unlike Dr. Nadia and Dr. Kalanithi, I don’t necessarily want to become another public person with a terminal diagnosis seeking to make a maximum impact with my humble pencil. But like them, I do want to tell My Story, for what it is worth, in hopes that it might help someone.
I will commit to share a brief essay, as I am able, each week throughout Lent. Links to the essays will be posted here. Let me know if you wish to be tagged. I hope you will be blessed. Thanks for listening.

I plan to share part of my journey each week throughout Lent, before Friday of each week beginning the week of March 9. The links will be to this blog. The chapters will be titled as follows:

Chapter One: Welcome to Retirement (“This is Not What I Had in Mind”)

Chapter Two: The Difference Between Hope and Denial (“The Gift of Ambiguity”)

Chapter Three: Faith Seeking Understanding (“Zen and the Short Pencil”)

Chapter Four: The Practices That Keep Me Going (“A New Rule of Life”)

Chapter Five: From Team to Tribe (“The Necessity of Companionship”)




No comments: